5 towns in 3 days, Cinque Terre - Part III (Monterosso)
Last but not least, the hike from Vernazza to Monterosso which as mentioned last time is the longest, hardest, but also probably the most rewarding. The photo opps upon arrival in Monterosso and also at the top of the hill looking back at Vernazza were some of my favorites of the trip.
The hike takes about two hours, and my recommendation would be to leave Vernazza as early as possible so that you can (1) beat the heat and (2) get to Monterosso as soon as possible and spend the day laying in the sun! Since I did exactly that (aka mainly laid around all day) I don't have a ton of recommendations, but here's what I've got:
- Start in Vernazza as early as possible to beat the crowds and the heat (in July this day was brutal) and get the most out of your day
- Grab breakfast at Il Pirata delle Cinque Terre which is near the trail head in Vernazza if you want something quick and good!
- Get a shot at the top of the hill looking back at Vernazza. I think this may be the most popular Cinque Terre shot of all
- Hike to Monterosso
- Don't stop at the first beach in Monterosso -- keep walking until you get to the second beach section on the other side of the bend
- Pay for a beach chair + an umbrella and enjoy your day in the sun :)
- Hike back or take the train